By building an early-bird Black Friday “VIP” list, Budai Media was able to generate $26K in revenue for their client weeks before BFCM.
Here’s exactly how they did it.
Get tactics like these straight to your inbox: sign up for the Fast Marketing Newsletter by CXL.
Table of contents
The goal: Increase Black Friday sales
Budai Media’s client, an outdoor clothing company, wanted to increase Black Friday and Cyber Monday (BFCM) sales while reducing the burden on their fulfillment by making the event longer.
The fast marketing tactic: Build an early-bird Black Friday list
The team built an early-bird BFCM “VIP” list, and monetized it weeks before BFCM:
- They built a custom landing page where they collected email addresses to subscribe to the early-bird BFCM VIP list.
- They drove traffic from multiple channels, including website, emails, organic and paid social, to this landing page, starting in October.
- They sent email and SMS sequences to subscribers, welcoming them and building excitement around the early-bird offers.
- They opened up the early-bird offers two weeks before Black Friday.
The result: $26K in revenue in advance of Black Friday
The team started running this campaign in October 2022 and opened up the early-bird offers in the two weeks before Black Friday. These were the results:
- 2,280 subscribers.
- 50%+ average email open rate.
- 7.7% of subscribers made a purchase from the four emails sent. Even the first welcome email, which did not include an offer, generated revenue.
- $26,220 of sales (equivalent to $11.5 per subscriber) in those two weeks. That’s 1/3 of the brand’s total sales over the BFCM period.
In addition, the brand could then also retarget these new subscribers with further offers and campaigns at a later date.
Why does it work?
- People love feeling part of an exclusive club, such as an early-bird VIP list.
- Opening up Black Friday offers ahead of BFCM taps into the growing trend of Black Week or even Black Month offers, and reduces the burden on fulfillment by expanding the period of offer.
Meet the specialist behind this tactic
Daniel Budai is the founder of the ecommerce email marketing agency Budai Media. The agency helps DTC ecommerce companies increase their customer lifetime value through email, SMS, push, and loyalty programs.
Follow Daniel on LinkedIn for more insights.