Become great at automation with Apps Script
By David Sottimano,
Course length: 5h 06min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
Learn by example and by building mini applications to automate your daily workflow. This course focuses on practical skills and touch on theory when it is required.
Understanding what’s possible, where to find information, and understanding general concepts are more important than memorization, therefore no prior programming experience is required.
Advanced concepts will be broken down into manageable chunks and make sure you’re confident before heading into the next phase of learning.
Introduction video (4 minutes)
CXL has helped me tremendously in my journey to become the best digital marketer I can be.
It has opened my eyes to the capabilities of tools like GTM and Google Sheets. You guys have humbled me by teaching me that there’s so much more to learn!
CXL is just the best place to grow for a marketer. I learned more in a few months via CXL than what I learned in 8, 9 months on my own.
After taking this course you’ll…
- Develop a file explorer in Google docs that allows access to your entire organization’s repository.
- Understand the basics of Google Apps Script, where it can be used, it’s limitations, and how you can use Apps Script to automate your workflow.
- You’ll learn how to approach a problem with a developer mindset. Programming isn’t about memorization, it’s about problem solving and being able to find the answer.
David’s marketing career has taken him from sales/PR all the way to technical SEO and development. He’s worked and lived in 3 continents for prestigious clients and agencies across the world, specializing, but not limited to technical SEO. For the past 3 years, he’s dedicated most of his time to self-teaching development to automate most of his work and deliver better results for clients.
Notable roles: Senior consultant with Distilled/DMG, previous Moz associate and has been running his own consultancy for the past 5 years.
Your course curriculum
Automation with Apps Script
For the beginner, we take a look at what Apps Script is, what it can do, where it lives in the Google Workspace environment, and talk about permissions.
- What Apps Script is, where to write Apps Script code in Docs, Sheets, Slides and how to run the code using the web IDE.
- Understand the difference between client side, server side and add-on's for Apps Script.
- Introduce the web IDE
We'll write our first function that checks if a cell contains any word in a list.
- Write your first Apps script function in Sheets
- Learn how to run the function as a custom function from a Sheet cell and in the web IDE
Being able to read and understand the documentation is the key to success, also, being able to describe your problem accurately so you can search stackoverflow will be essential. We'll go through some lingo and explore the documentation together.
- Understand which Apps Script documentation you should be looking at, depending on what you're trying to make and in which product (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
- Understand a Class and it's methods, and how to use auto-complete when writing Apps Script
- Fast track learning with Macros
The goal is to pull data in from an API and output to a sheet. Before we even start writing code, we'll correctly step through the problem first and write code last.
- Understand the basics of an API, HTTP request, JSON, and how to pull this data into Apps Script and dump it in a Spreadsheet
- How to write pseudocode
- Make a real world application to classify data with wit.ai
Refactoring (or rewriting) our first function to include error handling, logging, JS DOC and more.
- Understand all the weird ways you can declare a function in Apps Script (JS) , subtle differences of ES6 including variable types and explanation of hoisting and script execution order.
- How to include error handling in your code
- How to write JS DOC for Apps script, JS DOC is a way to document your functions for ease of use and to help others understand how the function should work.
We'll go through how to store data efficiently in Apps Script while exploring how roles/permissions affect storage of data and how to share scripts securely.
- Learn how to store/retrieve data in Properties Service
- Learn how to use the caching service
- Create a classification application using wit.ai
We'll create our first mini application that will allow you to turn a spreadsheet into a bookmarking service
- How to create a web app
- Create a useful application using more advanced Apps Script features
- Make an application you'll use everyday
We'll look at the mechanics behind building a Sheets add-on, what the necessary components are and how to communicate between the client and server side.
- Write your first sheets add-on
- Understand how to communicate between the add-on and the server side
- Interact with Google Drive
- Course Exam
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile.
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Learn marketing on the job.
Get better results with networking.
Our Marketing playbooks community gives you peer support for every marketing task you face. 90% of marketing tasks are not unique. Someone has already figured it out. Achieve more with less hassle.
- Access our library of thousands of marketing playbooks, each showing you how to do a specific marketing task in 10 steps or less, with real-time peer support.
- Join our community of marketing experts, ready to support you in getting that promotion or master new strategies, skills, and channels.
- Network with some of the world’s best marketers and companies and get noticed, hired, or endorsed.
Subscribe to CXL and get access
- 90+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 10 minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
- Playbook community with 2500+ instructions and peer-support
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Need help convincing your boss?
Subscribe to CXL
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get access to this and 90+ other training programs.