Become great at sales and customer success enablement
Drive repeatable results with sales and customer success enablement.
Course length: 1h 54min
Director, Business Value @ Drift, Inc
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
After taking this course you’ll…
- Understand what field enablement is, what it isn’t, and why it is the foundational skill that separates the most successful product markers from their peers.
- Develop a field enablement strategy that is anchored in the buyers journey, rapidly adopted by sales and customer success, and differentiated from the abandoned pitch decks and positioning statements of the past.
- Plan the right delivery, certification, and measurement strategy to quantify the impact of your effort, and diagnose and repair breakdowns in the process.
This course is essential for you if…
- You work in (or want to work in) a product marketing or enablement capacity at a B2B organization with average deal sizes of $10K or greater
- You want to deliver measurable value to your organization and are sick and tired of feeling insanely busy yet have nothing to show for it in terms of results
- You have a nagging feeling that you are leaving money on the table due to breakdowns in execution, and want a framework that unlocks your organizations natural desire to be the best that it can be.
This course is NOT for you if…
- You operate in an eCommerce or transactional sales environment
- You view field teams as rivals better suited for blame than world class enablement
- You already have a well polished enablement motion with world class leadership, executive sponsorship, and predictable results. Much of this content will be advanced, however operators already excelling at global scale will find some content redundant.
Kyle leads the Business Value practice at Drift, the category leader in Conversational marketing and Sales. He’s built and lead customer success teams at Intuit and Sales Enablement teams at Drift.
Over the past year, Kyle has been focused on launching a revolutionary AI-based product, and in that time has worked closely with sales, product marketing and customer success to bring this solution to market.
Your course curriculum
Sales and customer success enablement
This lesson will cover the data and science that forms the foundation for field enablement, and outline the core activities of the discipline.
- Outline a modern sales and success motion that puts the buyer at the center
- Be able to orchestrate a world class enablement services program for customers, field professionals, and leaders alike
- Master the communication and measurement frameworks you'll need to ensure success and demonstrate value
Every business is unique and the precise content and services you need to deliver will vary in accordance. This lesson will teach you the universal enablement principles that I use to scope and deliver the resources field teams need to be successful.
- Understand the key principles required to design and execute an enablement framework
- Internalize the fundamental truth that the buyer is in control of the purchase process
- Clearly understand what you own, and more importantly what you don't, when it comes to enablement
We've seen the framework as a whole, now let's break down the individual components and build them out for your org, starting with the top line of the Buyers Journey and the 3 Why's
- Understand the importance or organizing all enablement around your buyers, not your sellers and field teams
- Learn an easy, three part system for organizing the top line of the buyers journey - the Three Why's
- Be able to confidently establish the top line of your own enablement framework
We know the journey that our buyer's must take to do business with you - now our job is to align our selling motion to support that journey. This lesson will teach you how to build a buyer-centric sales process.
- Learn how to construct a sales and support process that supports the buyer’s journey
- Understand the key elements of a sales process
- Be able to confidently establish the sales process within your own enablement framework
Now you have considered the buying journey and organized the sales process. This lesson will provide an overview of the services you need to consider and organize to enable your field teams.
- Define the key components of comprehensive Enablement Services
- Organize your existing content and services into the Framework
- Take an initial inventory of what you have, and what you need
We'll take a deeper dive on customer-facing content. Specifically, you will learn how to think about and organize your customer facing content to align with stages in the buyer's journey.
- Understand how to orient your customer-facing content
- Learn how to translate your customer-facing content into discrete parts
- Be able to itemize the needed content for your customers at each phase of their journey
This lesson will help you distinguish between customer facing content and internal enablement content, and prepare a list of the current and necessary internal enablement content your field teams require.
- Understand the difference between customer content and enablement content
- Define the key types of enablement content
- Be able to complete your own internal enablement content list
This lesson will define and outline core training content for customer facing professionals, including how to use technology to deliver training at scale.
- Learn what kind of content is appropriate to equip the field teams
- Understand best practices in using technology to train the team at scale
- Be able to layer in required training content based on a gap analysis
The success of any enablement program will always hinge on the front line sales managers, so equipping them to reinforce the program must be a priority. This lesson will teach you how to prepare your management team for success.
- Understand why managers are so critical to successful enablement
- Learn what kinds of content are required to enable front line managers
- Be able to complete the manager content map for your organization
The conceptual work is done and now it is time to get to work. This lesson will review how to stand back and look at your framework holistically, identify the gaps in the program, and prioritize the work to be done.
- Learn how to assess gaps in the Enablement Framework
- Be able to develop a comprehensive list of enablement content that needs to be created
- Prioritize your enablement roadmap and get to work
Certain technical capabilities will be required to execute a field enablement program at scale. This lesson will walk you through the three primary tools that comprise the modern enablement tech stack.
- Understand the three main technologies leveraged in a modern enablement tech stack
- Describe how those technologies are used to enable the field teams
- Identify the key capabilities unlocked by these technologies
How NASA figured out how to coordinate a moon landing, translate dozens of system checks into clear pilot communication, and what all this can teach us about how to communicate to field professionals.
- Learn about the framework for effective field communication
- Be able to assign roles and set expectations with partners in the business
- Learn how NASA uses this framework for literal 'mission critical' communications
Building a robust enablement services framework is huge and worthwhile investment, however like any other investment, it comes with the expectation of measurable results. Our final lesson will discuss how to set up a measurement framework to track and communicate progress.
- Understand how to build a measurement funnel for enablement efforts
- Be able to source the data you need from the systems you put in place
- Leave with a framework to understand and communicate your impact
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Get this course and 90+ others when you sign up for CXL
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL subscription.
At CXL, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 90+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL and get access
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Get a subscription
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get a minidegree
This course is available in the following minidegrees.