Become great at behavioral design
Understand what motivates your customers to convert
Digital Psychology & Behavioral Design
By Brian Cugelman, Senior Scientist @ Alterspark
Course length: 3h 45min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
Learn the essence of behavioral design, while developing a broad perspective on the psychology of online behavior.
By better understanding the broad psychological principles that drive online engagement, this course will help you focus better, make better decisions, and build higher-converting products.
Get a lesson preview
After taking this course, you’ll…
- Understand many of the key psychology principles used in CRO
- Make better decisions based on human-insight
- Build confidence in translating psychological theories into creative content
- Understand several psychological strategies and design tactics
- Have a better sense of the emotions that drive human behavior
Here’s what Brian will teach you…
Students will learn the essentials of behavioral design, and gain a broad perspective on the psychology that drives online behavior.
By better understanding the broad psychological principles that drive online engagement, participants will develop better judgement, make better decisions, and builder higher-converting products.
In just 11 sessions, you’ll be able to…
This course takes students through the behavioral design process, covering Dr. Cugelman’s various behavior change models that simplify the vast scientific literature into a few simple models.
Students will learn the core emotional drivers and cognitive processes that explain how users use technology. Students will learn the core psychological strategies, with examples of common design components, to help them connect theory to practice.
Learn how to use psychology and neuroscience to create better conversion experiences.
This course will help you develop your skills in behavioral design, and help develop your niche in applying behavioral design to the digital skills of your choosing.
Rather than following dogmatic industry conventions, this course will teach you the human factors that drive online behavior. You will be empowered to develop strategies and fresh thinking, inspired by a proper understanding of human behavior, rather than dogmatic conventions.
As an introductory course to applied psychology, the course focuses on broad strategies and tactical UI elements, which will help you learn quickly, and better take advantage of everyday psychology design opportunities.
The content is general enough that it applies to many areas of digital practice.
This course is essential for you if …
- Want to learn the core psychology that is relevant to conversion-focused digital media professionals
- You work hands-on, where deeper human insight will help you make better and faster decisions
- You work in any organization where greater conversions will improve your bottom-line
This course is NOT for you if…
- You are starting out in digital media, and are not yet familiar with the basics in your chosen practice area.
- You expect to be spoon fed tactical psychology, such as dogmatic rules saying “psychological technique 847 always produces a 5% lift”. This is a course on insight.
- You are only interested in your specific area, such as only doing design, only doing copy, or only doing analytics. The content cuts across man practice areas.
Designed for anyone with basic knowledge of conversion optimization.
This course is perfect for anyone who has a basic understanding of conversion optimization, UX and design as well as an interest in psychology and neuroscience.
Students should have previously worked on a CRO project or campaign before taking this course.
With an extensive career running online projects and studies for industry, non-profit organizations, governments, and the United Nations, Dr. Brian Cugelman has been working as an online behavior change specialist since 1997.
In 2006, Brian launched AlterSpark, with a focus on merging behavioral science with creative design and data science. Over the years, Brian has helped numerous companies and institutions measure and improve their online campaigns for greater understanding and measurable results.
Your full course curriculum
Digital Psychology & Behavioral Design Training
This lesson shows you what it means to apply psychology to technology.
- Understand applied psychology in down-to-earth terms
- Know the various ways you can apply psychology to tech
- How to focus on the bigger-picture in applied psychology
You'll learn what makes this course unique, as a conversion focused approach to psychology-inspired design
- Where the content comes from
- Our approach to behavioral science
- Overview of the course's key components
We'll cover what really matters in design for behavior change.
- What to focus on in design for behavior change
- How to contrast superficial versus real metrics
- How to quickly measure outcomes
This lesson covers the emotions that drive shape user behavior, and covers a variety of emotional transition strategies, using the Cugelman Emotion Map.
- Learn how emotions shape user behavior
- Learn how to use the Cugelman Emotion Map, for broad emotional design strategies
- How to link design patterns to emotional design strategies
This lesson walks through an example of how NetFlix users emotion design, in its registration process.
- An example of an emotional design used in registration
- How content is used to target emotional motivators
- The link between theory and practice
This lesson explains how people conceptualize virtual space, and digital processes
- How users comprehend virtual spaces
- What language to use to make processes more intuitive
- How to describe online processes, so that they are easy to follow
Based on your understanding of how users conceptualize virtual space, we'll discuss conventional navigation systems.
- How to conceptual virtual spaces like real spaces
- Metaphors for information hierarchy
- Metaphors for on-page special relations
Now that we understand how people conceptualize and navigate in virtual spaces, we'll look at the psychology behind design components that help people navigate technology
- New perspective on navigational systems and process control UI
- Understand directional cues
- Gain a behaviorist perspective on CTAs
In Behavioral UI series of lessons, we cover most of the psychological design strategies, with many examples.
- Develop a new understanding of branding psychology, and why trust and integrity are at the core of digital influence
- How users comprehends the world and what motivates people
- Many other psychological design strategies, covering pressure tactics, social influence, decision making, trust, barrier reduction, and more
Learn about description components that help users to understand what they're dealing with.
Learn about different UI design patterns that are used for motivational processes.
Learn about pressure tactics and how to use them in UI.
Learn what is social influence in UI and how to utilize it.
Learn how to help your audiences to make up their mind.
Learn about trust - one of the core factors in behavior change.
Learn about elements that reinforce user behavior.
This lesson covers different stage-based approaches to influence, and recommends different approaches, depending on the nature of your work
- Learn about different stage-based approaches to behavior change
- Get a sense of when you should use each of the different approaches
- See examples of the standard models and prototyping tools used for each approach
If you have not worked in applied psychology, this lesson will help you get comfortable translating abstract psychological theories into creative design concepts
- Learn a down-to-earth approach to applying psychology, like improv
- Understand how psychology is translated to creative concepts
- See how psychology-inspired design applies to processes and pages
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL subscription.
At CXL, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL and get access
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.