Become great at storytelling
By Miri Rodriguez,
Head of Global Internship Program @ Microsoft Corporation
Course length: 1h 16min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
A distinctive brand story helps define and successfully communicate unique personal and business attributes.
Storytelling has become a powerful business tool in today’s digital age because it begins and ends with empathy, driving an immersive and emotional experience for stakeholders and audiences that inspires them to action.
In this insightful and heartfelt course, Miri leverages excerpts from her book Brand Storytelling to help you become a skilled storyteller so that you can successfully keep relevant in the marketplace, drive engaging relationships and win in business and in life.
Introduction video (1 minute)
Learn the five steps of design thinking as a model to plan, design and launch stories. In this tried and true method, students will be able to practically submit their brand stories through the empathize, identify, ideate, prototype and test phases, understanding each step for storytelling success.
CXL has helped me tremendously in my journey to become the best digital marketer I can be.
It has opened my eyes to the capabilities of tools like GTM and Google Sheets. You guys have humbled me by teaching me that there’s so much more to learn!
CXL is just the best place to grow for a marketer. I learned more in a few months via CXL than what I learned in 8, 9 months on my own.
After taking this course you’ll…
- Learn what is brand storytelling…and what is not – Gain a clear definition of storytelling as a connection tool for user-centered experience
- Understand Design Thinking – Learn about this powerful problem-solving framework that puts people at the center of design solutions
- Craft your story with empathy and Design Thinking Principles – Take your story through the five steps of design thinking and learn to prototype stories
- Understand the three levels of empathy for business results – Embracing empathy as a business innovation tool in today’s digital market
- Leverage visual elements in storytelling – the power of color, typography, photo, video and digital assets to take storytelling to the next level
Miri Rodriguez is a globally recognized Storyteller, Head of Global Internship Program at Microsoft and author of Brand Storytelling. She is a creative journalist and content strategist, evangelizing brand narrative and showcasing how thought leaders can leverage storytelling techniques for culture activation and influence in the digital age.
Miri has earned several awards in digital marketing and customer experience and is ranked as top in-demand speaker at leading industry conferences around the world. Miri brings 15+ years of expertise, valuable industry and consulting insights matched with a lighthearted and connected delivery approach.
Your course curriculum
Understanding the power of story and dispelling ideas of what it is not
- Learn the elements, structure and attributes of story
- Define the story arc (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution)
- Understand the 8 basic structures of storytelling
Leveraging design thinking to prototype stories
- Understand the Design Thinking steps
- Understand how to submit stories through the Design Thinking model
- Begin to conceptualize empathize, define and ideate phases
Becoming an empath to tell effective stories
- Empathy is a skill set
- Learn the 3 levels of empathy: cognitive, emotional, compassionate
- Finding your story's universal truth
The importance of defining the story mission, character, plot and conclusion for a successful story
- Creating a story mission
- Defining the story characters
- Creating a story outline
Ideation is about taking your story arc and giving it intersectionality (several layers from several angles)
- Ideation as a great tool to tell stories
- Brainstorming sessions and ideas
- Using the SCAMPER brainstorming tool
Creating low cost, low effort story concepts
- Learning to create story concepts
- Prototyping story lines
- Identifying the best prototypes by using the Napkin Pitch model
Learn to benchmark your storytelling
- Success indicators in storytelling
- How to fail with a story
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile.
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Learn marketing on the job.
Get better results with networking.
Playbook community gives you peer support for every marketing task you face. 90% of marketing tasks are not unique. Someone has already figured it out. Achieve more with less hassle.
- Access our library of thousands of marketing playbooks, each showing you how to do a specific marketing task in 10 steps or less, with real-time peer support.
- Join our community of marketing experts, ready to support you in getting that promotion or master new strategies, skills, and channels.
- Network with some of the world’s best marketers and companies and get noticed, hired, or endorsed.
Subscribe to CXL and get access
- 90+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 11 minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
- Playbook community with 2500+ instructions and peer-support
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Need help convincing your boss?
Subscribe to CXL
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get access to this and 90+ other training programs.
This course is available in the following minidegrees: