Become great at voice of customer data
By Ben Labay, Director of Research @ CXL Agency
Course length: 2h 09min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
Find the real reasons behind customer actions
You think you’re listening to your customer. You’re not. You’re wasting your time. This course will open your eyes to the why, allowing you to filter through all the excuses and symptoms that people complain about. “Shipping costs” or “not enough time” are not the problems….they are the symptoms. Learn the theory and an actionable framework for asking the right questions and collecting the right data so you can find the real reasons why people buy your product or why they don’t.
Introduction video (2 minutes)
After taking this course you’ll…
- Clearly understand what research is and what it’s not, and how to leverage this understanding to ask better questions.
- Evaluate how voice of customer fits into a marketing initiative, and why.
- Develop a roadmap to understand your customer through specific VoC research methods, to understand users and their perceptions, user motivations, user behavior, and user fears, uncertainties, and doubts.
- Develop a clear understanding and process for translating the data into insights and an implementation and testing plan
Getting to the why to change behavior and perceptions
Voice of customer data is key to getting at the ‘why’ behind what is happening with the brand and products and all the marketing efforts used to change behavior and perceptions. Without it, established brands can’t adapt to changing landscapes of customer attitudes and market forces. Kodak, Nokia, The US record industry all learned this the hard way. Then again, you can’t just listen to what people say and expect miracles.
This course teaches a framework to efficiently collect data on users perceptions, behaviors, motivations, and anxieties in a way to put insights into action. You’ll be able to come out with a clear understanding of the theory, process, and implications of a proper voice of customer research program.
Learn from tried and practiced processes with dozens of companies across size, vertical, and industry. E.g., a Proctor & Gamble D2C brand, multiple mattresses brands, short term loans, gambling sites, online education platforms, nutrition supplement companies, and a ton of beauty and cosmetic brands.
CXL has helped me tremendously in my journey to become the best digital marketer I can be.
It has opened my eyes to the capabilities of tools like GTM and Google Sheets. You guys have humbled me by teaching me that there’s so much more to learn!
CXL is just the best place to grow for a marketer. I learned more in a few months via CXL than what I learned in 8, 9 months on my own.
This course is essential for you if …
- You work with customer data and need to get insights from this data.
- You want to stay close to your customer regarding their behaviors, perceptions, motivations and anxieties.
- You work on a UX team and need a systematic framework for collecting and leveraging customer qualitative data for digital experiences.
This course is NOT for you if…
- You want quick insights. Processing qualitative data requires being bored with data, you can’t let the machines do the work because they don’t have data on customer perceptions in real time.
- You only want to work with quantitative, big data problems.
- You don’t work with customers or customer data.
Skills you should have before taking this course
This course is beneficial for anyone wanting to learn more about how the voice of customer data can impact a brand. Prior knowledge and experience in statistical concepts and marketing basics are an advantage.
Ben is CXL’s conversion research specialist. He combines years of academic and statistics training with customer experience and UX knowledge to help scope and run conversion research programs for companies around the world.
Your course curriculum
Voice of customer data
Change the way you think about data, research, and knowledge generally. This lesson presents 5 mental models that help to understand research pitfalls generally, with specific examples from research and testing programs.
- Conduct research without (much) bias
- Delineate different research techniques for different goals
- Define VoC research in the context of CRO
Understanding personas in principle, and the different categories and uses of personas
- Persona failures, the reasons why they have such a bad wrap
- Get a framework of 9 different personas within 3 different persona categories
- Get a framework to answer questions like i. whose problem are we trying to solve? ii. who are we speaking to? iii. who is using our product?
How to measure, track, and compare your user's perception of the digital experience of your product or website.
- Understand a robust definition and framework for user experience benchmarking
- Know how to collect user perception data for different dimensions of user experience - appearance, usability, clarity, loyalty, credibility
- Understand methods to address these research questions, i. how are they evaluating our offer compared to others? ii. how do they feel about our digital or product experience?
Research methods to capture data on user behaviors, finding friction issues and where users are tripping up on the website.
- Know how and why to collect passive feedback
- Understand pitfalls of user testing and be able to scope out a user testing plan
- Have tools to answer these research questions:
- What are they doing or not on the website?
- Where are they tripping up?
- Where do they get confused?
- What can’t they find that they should?
Research methods to capture data on user motivations and goals.
- Understand how to ask questions and when to use open- vs closed-ended questions
- Understanding goals vs motivations for survey techniques and how to scope out surveys
- Be able to answer these research questions:
- What’s the customer’s goal? J2BD?
- What do they think they want? Why?
- How are they choosing / making a decision?
- Which other products are we being compared to?
- How is what we offer clearly different?
- What are they thinking when they see our offer?
Research methods to capture data on user and customer anxieties.
- Build and target an onsite survey to understand anxieties
- Understand how the survey approach can affect response rate
- Be able to answer these research questions:
- What is the problem?
- What is holding a customer back from action?
- What do customer’s fear about the solution?
- Where is their uncertainty of success?
How to process all the data we get with these research techniques, especially the open-ended responses.
- Understand the principles and basics of coding data
- Understand the goal of coding data, which is to go from data to information to knowledge
- Understand nuances of the iterative nature and pattern finding categories within the process of codification
Note: the tool textalyzer.com which was recommended is now seoscout.com
Get a perspective for the need to account for cultural differences in how we process and respond to questions.
- Learn that context is key in success, and especially with understanding data and people
- Context for taming your confirmation bias when interpreting data - be humble even when you 'know'
- Get a resource for digging deeper in understanding 8 scales of culture relevant to conducting user research.
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL subscription.
At CXL, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL and get access
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Get a subscription
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.