Become great at voice of customer data
By Ben Labay, Director of Research @ CXL Agency
Course length: 2h 09min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
Find the real reasons behind customer actions
You think you’re listening to your customer. You’re not. You’re wasting your time. This course will open your eyes to the why, allowing you to filter through all the excuses and symptoms that people complain about. “Shipping costs” or “not enough time” are not the problems….they are the symptoms. Learn the theory and an actionable framework for asking the right questions and collecting the right data so you can find the real reasons why people buy your product or why they don’t.
Introduction video (2 minutes)
After taking this course you’ll…
- Clearly understand what research is and what it’s not, and how to leverage this understanding to ask better questions.
- Evaluate how voice of customer fits into a marketing initiative, and why.
- Develop a roadmap to understand your customer through specific VoC research methods, to understand users and their perceptions, user motivations, user behavior, and user fears, uncertainties, and doubts.
- Develop a clear understanding and process for translating the data into insights and an implementation and testing plan
Getting to the why to change behavior and perceptions
Voice of customer data is key to getting at the ‘why’ behind what is happening with the brand and products and all the marketing efforts used to change behavior and perceptions. Without it, established brands can’t adapt to changing landscapes of customer attitudes and market forces. Kodak, Nokia, The US record industry all learned this the hard way. Then again, you can’t just listen to what people say and expect miracles.
This course teaches a framework to efficiently collect data on users perceptions, behaviors, motivations, and anxieties in a way to put insights into action. You’ll be able to come out with a clear understanding of the theory, process, and implications of a proper voice of customer research program.
Learn from tried and practiced processes with dozens of companies across size, vertical, and industry. E.g., a Proctor & Gamble D2C brand, multiple mattresses brands, short term loans, gambling sites, online education platforms, nutrition supplement companies, and a ton of beauty and cosmetic brands.
CXL Institute has helped me tremendously in my journey to become the best digital marketer I can be.
It has opened my eyes to the capabilities of tools like GTM and Google Sheets. You guys have humbled me by teaching me that there’s so much more to learn!
CXL is just the best place to grow for a marketer. I learned more in a few months via CXL than what I learned in 8, 9 months on my own.
This course is essential for you if …
- You work with customer data and need to get insights from this data.
- You want to stay close to your customer regarding their behaviors, perceptions, motivations and anxieties.
- You work on a UX team and need a systematic framework for collecting and leveraging customer qualitative data for digital experiences.
This course is NOT for you if…
- You want quick insights. Processing qualitative data requires being bored with data, you can’t let the machines do the work because they don’t have data on customer perceptions in real time.
- You only want to work with quantitative, big data problems.
- You don’t work with customers or customer data.
Skills you should have before taking this course
This course is beneficial for anyone wanting to learn more about how the voice of customer data can impact a brand. Prior knowledge and experience in statistical concepts and marketing basics are an advantage.
Ben is CXL’s conversion research specialist. He combines years of academic and statistics training with customer experience and UX knowledge to help scope and run conversion research programs for companies around the world.