Get advanced level skills at Google Tag Manager
Turn your website into a tracking machine by mastering GTM
Online course: Advanced Google Tag Manager
By Simo Ahava, Senior Data Advocate @ 8-bit-sheep
Course length: 6h 19min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
Do you feel like you know Google Tag Manager, but there’s a lot more to know?
Here’s your chance to master Google Tag Manager’s complexities with Google Developer Expert Simo Ahava.
This is what this course is about.
Get a lesson preview
In this 9-lesson training program, you’ll learn
- Customizing GTM event tracking to track interactions on a site
- Customizing your Google Analytics setup using Tasks API, hitCallback, the Google Analytics Settings variable, and regular expressions
- Ins and outs of the dataLayer
- Turning GTM into a true force of power in your data organization
Get more confidence with the technology stack of the web
Google Tag Manager sits firmly in the fascinating interface between different parts of the organization: marketing, IT, HR, sales, and products & services.
To understand this interplay between the different departments of an organization and the systems they use to communicate data to and from the website, it’s important to understand the web browser and how GTM is firmly entrenched in the capabilities and limitations that the browser technology stack imposes.
Learn ins and outs of Data Layer
In this course, you’ll learn about the multiple faces of the Data Layer. You’ll understand how the Array is actually just a message bus, feeding messages to Google Tag Manager’s internal data model. You’ll learn how Google Tag Manager introduces an imitation of “state” in the browser, and how you can use this to your advantage when passing data to and from the website.
Understanding the interplay between the website, the Data Layer, and Google Tag Manager is vital if you want to make the most of the tool.
Understand how Google Tag Manager works under the hood
Much of this course will be about how Google Tag Manager works under the hood. It’s not just a theoretical exercise, though, as the learning curve of GTM is very steep and necessarily involves understanding how things like GTM’s data model, event tracking, and end-to-end debugging work. These lessons can be easily translated to actual use cases, and you can use this knowledge to make the container more than just the sum of its parts.
This course is right for you if…
- You want to know how to make GTM management easier with the API
This course is probably not for you if…
- You are looking for a deep-dive into mobile GTM or the GTM programmatic API
- You are only just starting with GTM and don’t like technical descriptions, live coding, or browser developer tools
- Web analytics deployment and implementation is not important to you, or you think GTM replaces your IT department or developers
Skills you should have
- Intermediate understanding of how GTM works, especially how tags, triggers, and variables interact
- Basic understanding of how the web browser works, especially when it comes to event tracking, the Data Layer, and Chrome’s developer tools
Simo Ahava is a recognized expert on customizing web analytics and tag management solutions to improve the entire “life cycle” of data collection, processing, and reporting. His main areas of expertise lie with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager. Google has appointed him as a Google Developer Expert in these fields.
Simo holds the position of Senior Data Advocate at 8-bit sheep. He also writes a popular blog on all things Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager development at www.simoahava.com.