Become great at Google ads
Master Google Ads and make paid acquisition highly profitable
This intermediate-to-advanced Google Ads course is designed for people wanting to run ads that hit the right targets and get you the results you need.
By Johnathan Dane, agency & SaaS founder
Course length: 1h 50m
Ruthless prioritization and execution “recipes” are critical to Google Ads success
As a marketer, you know that Google Ads is an excellent platform for driving business success – regardless of your industry.
But if you’ve ever struggled with understanding how to make this channel work for your specific business needs…you’re not alone.
Learn a ruthless prioritization framework and get a full suite of execution recipes to follow so you’re always running ads that hit the right targets and get you the results you need.
Introduction video (1 min)
After taking this course, you’ll…
- Know how to set realistic Google Ads goals – so you can prioritize things that have the biggest impact first
- Be able to conduct insanely productive research by focusing on granularity principles and validate ideas
- Understand PPC temperatures – so you can follow the law of conversion intent and not waste time/resources trying to fight it
- Comfortably navigate the entire Google Ads interface – so you can diagnose and find opportunities as you go along
- Be a master of targeting and split testing
- Know which optimization routines are the best – so that you can make quicker improvements with less time spent.
- Be able to scale all types of campaigns – so that you can grow conversion volume after you’ve achieved as ROAS and CPA you’re satisfied with
Know exactly which levers to pull for maximum impact with your Google Ads
Google Ads could be your business’ best growth lever…you just need to know how to execute your campaigns properly.
This course will teach you a proven, industry agnostic framework that’s guaranteed to help you drive consistent revenue growth at your company.
The content is insightful, actionable and doable.
I appreciate the range of topics and the talent and expertise of the presenters. I’ve grown more as a marketer in the last several months than I had in years before.
CXL Institute has helped me tremendously in my journey to become the best digital marketer I can be.
It has opened my eyes to the capabilities of tools like GTM and Google Sheets. You guys have humbled me by teaching me that there’s so much more to learn!
I have followed different courses from LinkedIn learning to Google and Facebook ads, and I rate CXL as most detailed for specific areas. CXL Institute helped me to do things more systematically and strategically.
This course is right for you if you…
- Want to be able to make your company more revenue
- Wish to cut through most of the BS out there and optimize for what’s important
- Want the strongest Google Ads foundation possible
This course is NOT for you if you…
- Want a silver bullet to make you millions of dollars
- Are not willing to put in the time and correctly execute to see the results
- Try to improve vanity metrics over business level metrics
Skills you should have before taking this course
Because this is an intermediate-to-advanced course, students should be familiar with Google Ads basics, including how Google’s auction systems work, the fundamentals of online advertising, and the importance of bringing value to targeted prospects. But most importantly, students should be curious and ready to learn.
If you have the skills and experience described below, this course is a good fit for you:
- Have ad budget ready to use to put these ideas within this course into practice
- Want to further yourself and your company’s ROI potential
- Want to continue to learn and are okay with experimenting new approaches
Johnathan Dane is the founder of KlientBoost and Kite, a PPC agency and software solution helping clients scale revenue and performance.
Over the past 6 years, Johnathan has built over two 50+ people agencies, spoken at digital marketing conferences and schools (namely Stanford) and been the paid acquisition mentor for 500 Startups.
He has been part of hundreds of blog posts, podcasts, and webinars sharing knowledge while working on building all his successful recipes into Kite, the software that he believes will power the future of many PPC accounts.
Your full course curriculum
When you dive deep into the Google Ads ocean, you’ll find that there are tons of pretty (yet meaningless) metrics to stare at.
It’s important you understand which metrics to sacrifice in order to achieve your ultimate goals.
- Understand the basics of metrics being offered within Google Ads
- Know the difference between lead gen, SaaS, and eCommerce metrics
- Customizing your Google Ads interface in a way that works best for you
Many new advertisers believe (or hope) that online advertising is incredibly simple. Yet they fail to believe that mostly all success comes from stronger execution.
A 10X return on ad spend is achievable, but you may have to be okay with lower conversion volume - this is why it’s important to discuss the differences in traffic performance and what each type can help you achieve.
- Ignore industry averages
- Goal focus with actual business impact
The simpler your campaign and ad group structure, the quicker you’ll learn what works and what doesn’t.
By not using layers of targeting, you’re able to isolate and pivot at a faster pace to achieve the numbers you want.
- The Iceberg Effect
- The advantage of granularity
Google’s own data is unparalleled compared to other “off-the-shelf” tools out there. It just has more accurate data.
And while you won’t get any silver bullets (they don’t exist), you’ll get amazing insights you can use right away.
- Google Keywords Planner
- Google Display Planner (now part of Display campaign creation)
- Using what you find within the planners
While Google’s own tools are great, you can use external tools to increase your targeting footprint and find new opportunities, audiences, and keywords to target to gain higher conversion volume.
- SpyFu, SEMRush
Many people think all conversion intent is the same when it comes to Google Search - but that’s far from the truth.
Learn how effective advertisers use the law of PPC temperatures to structure their campaigns to achieve higher levels of ROI.
- The four pillars of search
- The three categories of shopping
- The conversion scale for display
Most people believe that Display and YouTube are for brand awareness and impressions. Many smart advertisers however have made Display and YouTube generate higher ROI than Search and Shopping.
- Best performing Display and YouTube audiences
- Arsenal of call to actions ready
- Smoke testing
Knowing the basics and advanced options when it comes to targeting is crucial so you know where to focus your efforts.
This fundamental understanding will help you prioritize your build outs and optimizations.
- Keyword match types
- Negative keywords
- Remarketing List for Search Ads (RLSA)
- Dynamic Search Ads (DSA)
- In-Market audience layers
- Keyword mining campaigns
Display and YouTube offer more targeting options compared to Search. This also means that the potential for not getting results is higher.
By understanding which targeting options to prioritize, you’ll have an easier and quicker time getting conversion traction.
- Similar audiences
- Keyword contextual
While you won’t be spending too much time here, it’s important to know all the bells and whistles.
This will help you troubleshoot things faster and speed up the time to achieve your goals.
- Shared Libraries
This is where you’ll be spending most of your time. The main dashboard is where all the analytics, data, and optimization routines occur.
- Custom views
Your campaign settings set the overall momentum potential and reach of your campaigns. While not difficult to set up, it’s important you understand the different options you have.
- Campaign types
- Campaign goals
- Campaign settings
Your ad groups house your targeting and ad creative. The way that you set these up are crucial to your success - and it all comes back to the principle of granularity.
- Ad creative
- Targeting variety
- Single keyword ad groups/single layer ad groups
Before you start making adjustments to your campaigns and ad groups, it’ll be smart to have some safety nets that help you catch issues and help you make changes with ease.
- Google Ads filters
- Google Ads scripts
- Google Ads rules
- Google Ads Editor
- Kite Software
To simplify and prioritize your manual changes in your Google Ads account, it’s important you know which things matter most and which things don’t.
- Ad testing
- Bid adjustments
- Negative keywords
- Keyword expansion
- Automatic placements
Doing work for the sake of doing it isn’t fun, so to simplify your life even more, here are some of the bigger needle movers that will help you achieve your Google Ads goals.
- Device bid adjustments
- Time based bid adjustments
- Geographic bid adjustments
- Search partner performance
- Micro conversion tracking
When you’re in a great spot with your cost per conversion and ROAS is looking good, it’s time to scale your volume to grow your overall profit and revenue.
- Keyword expansion
- Display & YouTube expansion
- Geographic expansion
- New offer/CTA creations
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once the course is over, pass a test to earn a CXL certification.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile or just get that well-earned raise you’ve been waiting for.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL Institute
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL Institute subscription.
At CXL Institute, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL Institute and get access to
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL Institute guarantee:
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute: