Learn user interfaces that persuade users to take action
Fundamentals of persuasive websites
By Paul Boag, Founder @ Boagworks Ltd
Course length: 4h
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
This is not a design course.
It’s a strategy course – what should go on your website
Designing and running websites can be incredibly frustrating. You see a large number of users visiting your site, and yet, so few of them take action. It’s maddening!
This introductory course will teach you how to understand better the ways users think and leverage that to encourage them to complete your calls to action.
After just 4 sessions, you’ll be able to
- Understand psychology and how it influences our decisions.
- Elicit trust through your website.
- Build a user interface that persuades users to take action.
- Write compelling copy.
- Evaluate an existing webpage and identify ways it could be more persuasive.
- Create compelling calls to action.
This class will give you all the tools and techniques…
…you need to understand what motivates your users, and how to turn that into specific changes you can make to your site.
These changes will allow you to motivate users into action, without alienating them in the process. By adopting this kind of ethical approach to persuasion, you can increase conversion, while also encouraging repeat business and word of mouth recommendation.
But most of all, you’ll learn to avoid investing heavily in your site only to see disappointing results.
This course is right for you if…
- You run or build e-commerce sites and are looking to raise your conversion rate and average order value
- You have landing pages that are failing to convert.
- You would like to increase the number of people signing up to your newsletter.
- You are keen to see your website generate more quality leads.
In fact, this course is for anybody who wants to encourage users to take specific actions when visiting your site!
This course is probably not for you if…
- You already have extensive experience in sales and marketing techniques.
- You are looking for quick fix persuasion techniques, no matter its impact on customer satisfaction.
- You are not interested in building long term relationships with your clients.
- You are unwilling to consider improvements that extend beyond changes to the user interface.
About your instructor, Paul Boag
Paul is a leader in digital strategy and user experience design. He has been working with organisations such as Centrica, Shell and Doctors Without Borders for over 20 years. Through consultancy and training, he helps businesses make better use of digital technologies. He helps them engage with today’s connected consumers.
Paul is also a well-respected figure in the digital sector. Author of five books including Digital Adaptation and User Experience Revolution. He also writes for industry publications including Smashing Magazine, Sitepoint and Net Magazine.
Finally, Paul speaks around the world on user experience design and digital transformation. Alongside speaking, he also hosts the award-winning user experience podcast over at boagworld.com.
After this course, you’ll be able to…
- Adopt an approach to persuasion that doesn’t resort to manipulation and alienating potential customers.
- Apply the psychology of human thinking to improve your conversion rate.
- Write compelling copy that engages with users and encourages them to act.
- Craft calls to action that users feel compelled to click.
Your full course curriculum
Fundamentals of persuasive websites
How to approach persuasion the right way
There are compelling techniques available to us with which we can persuade users to act. However, using these methods are not without their dangers. Use them unwisely, and you can alienate users and damage your brand. In this session, you look at how to approach persuasion in the right way.
Mastering the psychology behind being more persuasive
To persuade people to act you first need to understand their motivation. In this second session, you will learn how people think with an introduction to human psychology.
The secrets that will enable you to write more persuasive copy
Compelling copy is often the key to persuasion, yet most online copy is uninspiring and does not resonate with the audience. In this session, you will discover how to write compelling copy that motivates people to take action.
Make your calls to action more clickable
All too often, conversion rates are damaged when calls to action are overlooked or undervalued. In this session, you will be taught the design principles that will ensure users spot your calls to action and how to make them compelling.
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once the course is over, pass a test to earn a CXL certification.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile or just get that well-earned raise you’ve been waiting for.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL Institute
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL Institute subscription.
At CXL Institute, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL Institute and get access to
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
- Talk recordings by world class practitioners at CXL Live and Elite Camp
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL Institute guarantee:
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Need help convincing your boss?