Get more out of Google Tag Manager
Intermediate Google Tag Manager
By Chris Mercer, Co-Founder of MeasurementMarketing
Course length: 2h 30min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
This training program will give you
- Greater data governance and control over your tag management.
- Knowledge of underutilized and super powerful GTM features.
- A thorough QA process and ways to speed up your changes and implementations across teams.
Unlock the true power of Google Tag Manager
Have you been using GTM for a while, but feel like there’s more to the tool than you’re currently using? Well, you’re right. GTM is a powerful tool and many of its features often go underutilized.
The knowledge and strategies incorporated in this training are the same that are used in enterprise level companies around the world.
This course goes deep
If you’re on this page asking yourself, “what’s a tag manager?” this course probably isn’t for you.
Think of this as Google Tag Manager 201. You’ve been functionally using GTM for a while, you know the terminology and landscape, and you’ve effectively implemented tag management in your organization.
This course is the next step. It brings you from functional to effective, and from beginner to intermediate or advanced.
Greater data governance and control
In addition to learning more of the technical capabilities of Google Tag Manager, you’ll also learn how to manage your data and tags more efficiently. You and your team will operate at a higher level, reducing time to implementation and reducing errors while opening up data to anyone on your team who desires it.
The entire second module of the course is devoted to such strategic components of Google Tag Manager. Sure, the technical and tactical components are useful and you need to start with those.
But once you know the inner working of GTM, it’s time to graduate to looking at your tag management as a strategic operation.
Do things the right way
When implemented well, GTM significantly reduces the time it takes for your team to manage tags. It allows advanced tracking and just overall greater data governance.
But it is important to roll it out carefully.
We’re seeing more and more companies who race forward to quickly and miss an important step in planning. Then, they end up with inaccurate data.
This course will teach you to avoid common mistakes, and therefore, will save you time, money, and stress in the long run.
Take your Google Tag Manager skills to the next level
- Be competent in one of the most useful tools out there for a digital marketer.
- Speed up implementations and changes to your tag management.
- Unlock advanced tracking solutions.
- Discover features of GTM you’ve been missing out on.
- Build a system that opens up greater data control and governance in your company.
- Create QA and workflow processes that eliminate costly and annoying mistakes.
This course is right for you if…
- You want to take advantage of everything GTM can do, not just the basic features.
- You have used GTM regularly for at least 3-6 months.
- You consider yourself a “technical marketer” or analyst and want to become even better.
- You have previously taken a foundational GTM course (including ours) and want to level up.
This course is probably not for you if…
- You still need to brush up on the basic GTM features
Your full course curriculum
Intermediate Google Tag Manager
Intermediate GTM Intro
Here's where you are what's about to happen.
Tracking Engagement: Advanced Video Tracking
Tracking Engagement: Page Elements
Tracking Ecommerce: The Next Level
Enhanced Ecommerce in the Data Layer
Deep Dive: Custom Dimensions & Metrics
Sending Custom Dimensions & Metrics to Google Analytics
Deep Dive: User ID Tracking
Setting up User ID
Deep Dive: Table Variables
Lookup and Regex
Deep Dive: Event Variables
Event & Auto Event Variables
Deep Dive: Using Cookies in GTM
Setting (and reading) cookies in GTM
Deep Dive: GTM API
Wrap Up & Resources
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once you have completed the course, pass a test to earn a CXL certification.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile, or just get that well-earned raise.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL Institute
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL Institute subscription.
At CXL Institute, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL Institute and get access to
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL Institute guarantee:
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Get a subscription
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get a minidegree
This course is available in the following minidegrees.