Get more out of Google Tag Manager
Intermediate Google Tag Manager
By Chris Mercer,
Measurement [email protected] MeasurementMarketing.io
Course length: 3h 00min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
This training program will give you
- Greater data governance and control over your tag management.
- Knowledge of underutilized and super powerful GTM features.
- A thorough QA process and ways to speed up your changes and implementations across teams.
Get a lesson preview
Unlock the true power of Google Tag Manager
Have you been using GTM for a while, but feel like there’s more to the tool than you’re currently using? Well, you’re right. GTM is a powerful tool and many of its features often go underutilized.
The knowledge and strategies incorporated in this training are the same that are used in enterprise level companies around the world.
This course goes deep
If you’re on this page asking yourself, “what’s a tag manager?” this course probably isn’t for you.
Think of this as Google Tag Manager 201. You’ve been functionally using GTM for a while, you know the terminology and landscape, and you’ve effectively implemented tag management in your organization.
This course is the next step. It brings you from functional to effective, and from beginner to intermediate or advanced.
I loved that Mercer explained how to use Dev Console and GA Debug on a daily basis.
This course was fast-moving with real examples of what I can do for clients.
While I worked with GTM from the start, I was basically a newbie before taking this class. I learned many things, from structuring my tagging to “simple” things like forcing SSL for GA calls, using customTask and more. My company’s GTM tagging has been solid and without error ever since the class, proving us actionable insights daily
Greater data governance and control
In addition to learning more of the technical capabilities of Google Tag Manager, you’ll also learn how to manage your data and tags more efficiently. You and your team will operate at a higher level, reducing time to implementation and reducing errors while opening up data to anyone on your team who desires it.
The entire second module of the course is devoted to such strategic components of Google Tag Manager. Sure, the technical and tactical components are useful and you need to start with those.
But once you know the inner working of GTM, it’s time to graduate to looking at your tag management as a strategic operation.
Do things the right way
When implemented well, GTM significantly reduces the time it takes for your team to manage tags. It allows advanced tracking and just overall greater data governance.
But it is important to roll it out carefully.
We’re seeing more and more companies who race forward to quickly and miss an important step in planning. Then, they end up with inaccurate data.
This course will teach you to avoid common mistakes, and therefore, will save you time, money, and stress in the long run.
Take your Google Tag Manager skills to the next level
- Be competent in one of the most useful tools out there for a digital marketer.
- Speed up implementations and changes to your tag management.
- Unlock advanced tracking solutions.
- Discover features of GTM you’ve been missing out on.
- Build a system that opens up greater data control and governance in your company.
- Create QA and workflow processes that eliminate costly and annoying mistakes.
This course is right for you if…
- You want to take advantage of everything GTM can do, not just the basic features.
- You have used GTM regularly for at least 3-6 months.
- You consider yourself a “technical marketer” or analyst and want to become even better.
- You have previously taken a foundational GTM course (including ours) and want to level up.
This course is probably not for you if…
- You still need to brush up on the basic GTM features
Mercer (as he’s known) is the co-founder of MeasurementMarketing.io and has been helping marketers, marketing teams, and agencies implement and unlock the power of Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager since 2013.
He has spoken at conferences around the globe, including Traffic & Conversion, Digital Elite Camp, Performance Marketing Summit, Digital Growth Unleashed, and Social Media Marketing World.
Your full course curriculum
Intermediate Google Tag Manager
Here's where you are what's about to happen.
Enhanced Ecommerce in the Data Layer
Sending Custom Dimensions & Metrics to Google Analytics
Setting up User ID
Lookup and Regex
Event & Auto Event Variables
Setting (and reading) cookies in GTM
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile.
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Learn marketing on the job.
Get better results with networking.
Playbook community gives you peer support for every marketing task you face. 90% of marketing tasks are not unique. Someone has already figured it out. Achieve more with less hassle.
- Access our library of thousands of marketing playbooks, each showing you how to do a specific marketing task in 10 steps or less, with real-time peer support.
- Join our community of marketing experts, ready to support you in getting that promotion or master new strategies, skills, and channels.
- Network with some of the world’s best marketers and companies and get noticed, hired, or endorsed.
Subscribe to CXL and get access
- 90+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 11 minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
- Playbook community with 2500+ instructions and peer-support
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Need help convincing your boss?
Subscribe to CXL
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get access to this and 90+ other training programs.
This course is available in the following minidegrees: