Understanding your users increases marketing effectiveness
UX for Marketers
By Anna Dahlström, Founder @ UX Fika
Course length: 8h
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
It’s increasingly blurry to separate out what we do online from what we do in the physical world
Therefore, User Experience is transcending more roles and aspects of a business than ever before. Yet somehow, UX and marketing efforts still often occur in silos.
While UX benefits from being owned by a specific team, it is an area that all parts of the business benefits from learning more about and which can help marketers and CROs in their day to day roles.
In this course you’ll get a foundation of what UX is, the key tools that UX designers work with, and how they can be used by and benefit marketers. At the end of the course you’ll have worked through a high-level UX process from start to finish, covering research to testing and the key parts in between. You’ll also learn how to articulate the value of UX and how to get buy-in for UX at an organizational level.
This course is right for you if…
- You believe a deeper understanding of UX would benefit your day-to-day work.
- You want to further develop your UX skills and get practical experience with key UX deliverables and best practices.
- You want to learn how to tie user and business needs together.
- You want to develop your strategic thinking and skills.
- You want to learn how to get buy-in for UX and help break down the silos in your organization.
This course is probably not for you if…
- You already have a good understanding of UX and the types of deliverables a UXer works with.
- You regularly create and work with UX deliverables like wireframes, user journeys and customer experience maps in your day-to-day role.
- You are looking for deep-dives into some of the software UX designers use, like Sketch.
- You are looking to learn about UI and visual design.
Skills you should have before taking this course
- No particular skills are needed before taking this course.
- However, a basic understanding of digital and how websites work will be beneficial.
About your instructor, Anna Dahlström
Anna is a Swedish UX designer, speaker and coach who’s been based in London since 2006. She’s also the founder of UX school UX Fika and the author of the upcoming book Storytelling in Design by O’Reilly.
Over the last 17 years, she’s worked as an Experience Lead and freelance UX designer across a large variety of brands, companies, and projects. She currently helps startups, individuals, and companies with UX related matters through coaching, mentoring, in house training as well as through UX Fika events.
In just 8 sessions, you’ll be able to…
- Have a strong foundation of UX, and understand where it sits in an organisation and process.
- Demonstrate the value of UX and know how best to get buy-in for UX.
- Know what UX tool to apply when and how to adapt it to your project in question.
With hands-on exercises alongside expert instruction and guidance, you’ll be well-equipped to put your learnings to practice immediately.
Your full course curriculum
UX for Marketers
UX basics, best practices, & trends
This introductory lesson will provide an overview of the different aspects of User Experience Design, where it sits in the organization and the project process and its connection to marketing and CRO. It will also provide a brief overview of UX best practices and trends as well as cover the fundamentals of what you need to know about designing for multiple devices.
How to: user research
The second lecture will take a closer look at user research, what it is, how and when to conduct it, what to consider as well as provide an overview of some of the best research techniques for marketers and optimizers.
How to: customer experience maps
Customer experience maps are one of the most valuable UX tools for understanding and defining all aspects of an experience as well as for marrying user and business needs. This lecture will cover what customer experience maps are, look at a few examples and walk through how to use and work with them as well as how to practically go about creating them.
How to: user journeys
The fourth lecture will take a closer look at different types of user journeys, how marketers and CROs can use them to both define future, asses and optimize the experience of existing and new products and services. After taking a look at a few examples this lecture will walk through step by step how to create them as well as provide you with a basic template that you can use as a starting point.
How to: information architecture & content strategy
This lecture will provide an introduction to Information Architecture and Content Strategy and walk you through what to consider as well as how you can utilize other UX tools like personas, user journeys and experience maps for defining what content should go where and when.
How to: wireframing
The sixth lecture will focus on wireframing and cover low to high fidelity wireframes, the connection to prototyping as well as tips and best practices for creating your own by walking through some basic wireframe templates that are focused on key pages for marketers and CROs.
How to: user testing
The second to last lecture focuses on user testing, the different methods and when to do what including how to test when the number of users is low. It’ll also cover the importance of combining qualitative and quantitative data as well as how to utilize the results of user testing including how to prioritize what to do when it comes to improving the UX.
Getting buy-in for UX
The last lecture will include some closing remarks on UX for marketers and CROs before covering the different aspects of how to get buy-in for UX. From how to manage and convince internal stakeholders and clients, to how you can prove and demonstrate the value of UX to your organization.
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once you have completed the course, pass a test to earn a CXL certification.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile, or just get that well-earned raise.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL Institute
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL Institute subscription.
At CXL Institute, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL Institute and get access to
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
- Talk recordings by world class practitioners at CXL Live and Elite Camp
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL Institute guarantee:
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Need help convincing your boss?