Optimize your forms for better UX and more conversions
By Tom New,
Head of Creative Marketing @ Peak
Course length: 6h 30min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
Design forms that are easy to complete and have sky-high conversion rates.
Optimizing your forms can have a huge impact on your conversion rates. This course will teach you how to avoid the common pitfalls of form design so you’re always getting the best conversion rate possible.
After taking this course, you’ll…
- Know how to design high performing forms.
- Be able to leverage user feedback and optimize based on user interaction.
- Recover buckets of revenue and decrease cart abandonment.
- Design for mobile, usability, accessibility, and improved user experience.
Optimize closest to the money (or why you should care about forms)
At the bottom of almost every website experience lies a web form.
Web forms are used to convert visitors into subscribers, leads, customers, or advocates. They represent the closest element to the conversions – they’re already ready to fill out their information. Yet for some reason, research shows that almost 70% of people don’t complete online forms.
What would it mean for your business if you could recover just 5% of those conversions? 10%? Depending on your conversion value, that’s a whole lot of ROI for what amounts to be a surprisingly little amount of work.
Pick the low hanging fruit
You see, most forms are so bad that you don’t even need to implement advanced targeting, behavioral science, or any other psychological trickery to get a conversion lift. You simply need to make the form easier to fill out.
Forms are one of the most consistently ill-designed elements on a website, yet most marketers still neglect them. Now, the smart marketer would look at form optimization as a value investment – for very little work, we can achieve clear conversion and revenue lifts.
If ROI is something you’re after, you’ll get a lot from this course.
Form optimization: Recover lost money
A simple funnel analysis will show you that a significant percentage of your users are dropping off when it comes to form completion. What would it mean to you if you could recover even a small percentage of them?
In the case of Pink Gellac, the answer to that question turned out to be a resounding “a lot.”
By making simple changes to their checkout process – things that don’t require weeks of development work or management deliberation – they reduced cart abandonments by 14%. In terms of revenue, that translated to an increase of €5 million over 12 months.
Small changes, big results.
Form design is also eminently teachable. It’s not something that you need a background in data science, engineering, or behavioral science to do right. Simply put in the time, learn the guidelines and processes, and be ready to impress your boss or stakeholders with higher form completion rates, conversion rates, and revenue gains.
This course is right for you if…
- You have a website that uses forms to generate leads, sales, registrations, or subscribers.
- You’re dissatisfied with the conversion rate of those forms. You think they could perform better.
- You have the resources to make changes to your forms.
This course is probably not for you if…
- Your website doesn’t generate leads or revenue for you. You don’t use forms.
- You cannot make changes to your site or work with resources to do so (even if you want to!)
In 2014 Tom New, along with his business partner Al Mackin, launched Formisimo, a SaaS analytics platform that uses behavioral data to provide market-leading insights into people’s online shopping habits, and in particular how people interact with online forms and checkouts.
Clients include Capital One, DFS, Travelex, Uber, Toyota, Samsung and Unicef and they recently launched their second product, Nudgr, which uses machine learning to predict ahead of time when website visitors are going to abandon a buying journey.
He is the Head of Creative Marketing at Peak.
Your full course curriculum
This class will cover form design basics such as layout design, labels, help text, navigation, and calls to action. After this class is finished, you will have a baseline knowledge of web form optimization that surprises 95% of people who create forms online.
- Layout design - What should your form look like? Multi-step vs. single page?
- Labels, help text, and microcopy
- Navigation and Calls to Action
This class will dive deep into user interaction and how to design based on usability and accessibility. We’ll also dive deep on mobile form optimization, something almost all marketers struggle with.
- Form validation, error messages, and user corrections
- Usability, UX, and accessibility
- Designing for mobile
In this session, we’ll step away from theory and show you specifically and concretely how to execute form design best practices and optimization in real life. To do that, we’ll review three live sites and critique where they’re going wrong, what they could improve on, and also what they’re doing well.
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile.
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Learn marketing on the job.
Get better results with networking.
Our Marketing playbooks community gives you peer support for every marketing task you face. 90% of marketing tasks are not unique. Someone has already figured it out. Achieve more with less hassle.
- Access our library of thousands of marketing playbooks, each showing you how to do a specific marketing task in 10 steps or less, with real-time peer support.
- Join our community of marketing experts, ready to support you in getting that promotion or master new strategies, skills, and channels.
- Network with some of the world’s best marketers and companies and get noticed, hired, or endorsed.
Subscribe to CXL and get access
- 90+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 10 minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
- Playbook community with 2500+ instructions and peer-support
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL guarantee
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Need help convincing your boss?
Subscribe to CXL
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get access to this and 90+ other training programs.