Become great at email marketing
Start getting 20x returns from email marketing
Learn how to build lists fast, what to send that works, and how to make your email marketing data-driven.
Email marketing: basics to best-in-class
By Jessica Best, Vice President Data-Driven Marketing @ Barkley
Course length: 4h
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
What if each email you sent earned you a 2000% return on investment?
Email marketing (yes, STILL) rocks the highest return on investment of any medium, garnering on average $28 for every $1 you invest.
That is, if you do it right. This course will teach you how.
In just 4 sessions, you’ll be able to…
- Optimize your email list growth to grow your revenue from email.
- Improve your email content to grow your return on email investment.
- Turn your email program into data-driven marketing machine that drives results.
- Avoid errors that email marketers often (still) make.
This course will help you grow your email marketing program to the next level
Do you know how much revenue you make per email subscriber? From driving engagement to fine tuning your list and timing, Jessica Best, self-proclaimed email marketing dweeb, will help you get your current strategy in the best shape it can be
- discover how to grow a large subscriber base fast,
- get the latest info in content and creative that works,
- learn how to make your email marketing totally data-driven.
So you can finally start earning that $20-to-$1 return on investment.
I feel so much more confident in analysis and optimization after taking CXL’s courses.
I learn practical techniques that are applicable to any business from the best in class.
CXL Institute showed me how to go from no optimization program to a fully matured program, and how to handle all the nuances that pop up along the way.
If you want to take the next step from dabbling to becoming a real CRO practitioner, the CXL material (plus a lot of practice) will get you there.
Learn processes for getting consistent results from leaders in the field.
This course is right for you if…
- Create the strategy, content, or send schedule for your company’s email marketing campaigns
- Haven’t had any formal training in email marketing but still lead the charge for your company
- Have been doing email marketing for years but suspect you aren’t getting a $20+ return on investment
- Haven’t dipped much into email marketing
This course is probably not for you if…
- You’re already doing 10-point email journeys based on data from multiple sources/databases
- You want to scrape email addresses off the internet and send them every email you possibly can
Skills you should have before taking this course
- Basic marketing knowledge — academic or experience — isn’t required but will help, since we’ll apply many known principles of marketing to email marketing specifically
- This course will offer a “running start” for those new to the field, but each class will contain something that even a practitioner of email marketing can learn from!
Jessica is a self-admitted numbers nerd. She’s worked to lift ROI in customer- and data-driven marketing for a broad range of brands like Dairy Queen, Spirit Airlines, Winnebago, Planet Fitness, Beauty Brands, Hostess, Water.org, Farmland Foods, Hallmark Baby, At Home, Banfield Pet Hospitals, SelectQuote, and Boulevard Brewing Company, and more.
Jessica also spreads the good word of great email marketing from the stage. She’s lead trainings and spoken in front of audiences from dozens to over 1200 from Las Vegas to Barcelona, and Vancouver to SXSW Interactive in Austin. In 2016, she joined the Barkley team as VP of Data-Driven Marketing, implementing the best practices she preaches for Barkley clients.
Your full course curriculum
Email Marketing Basics: The Good, the Bad & the WOW!
5 things you should always do in email marketing and 5 things you should never do. (Plus some killer examples to borrow from!)
- Maximize your email marketing by avoiding the spam folder
- Optimize your email content for all devices and accessibility settings so each email can help earn you responses
- Know the law so you don’t fall prey to it accidentally in today’s privacy-focused world
How to Optimize Your Email Marketing List Growth
In the users' inbox, they're the boss. You have to earn your way in through offering value and asking permission. That doesn't mean you have to do it slow-and-steady, though. Jessica will share with you the best ways -- free and paid -- to grow your email subscriber list.
- Warnings about the WRONG way to build your list, including what the law allows
- 4 keys to grow your list faster organically (meaning without cash investment), using the content and channels you're already managing now
- How to grow faster by adding (or shifting) budget to email list growth
Optimizing Email Marketing Copy & Design
Sure you know a few best practices, but if you've been doing email marketing for any amount of time, you know there are… let's call them "quirks" to designing and writing for email. In this course, you'll hear 12+ years of trade secrets, plus trends in email design and copy in today's inboxes that you might wanna try.
- Navigating accessibility in email design for a great experience on all (most) devices for all (most) users
- How to incorporate rich media into your email design (but not lose your hard-won accessibility)
- Dynamic images and 2 more trends to test with your own campaigns
Using Data to Drive Email Marketing Relevance and Results
The real powerhouse of email is its ability to be customized to every single subscriber, prospect and customer on your list. In this class, Jess shares how to be setup for data-driven email success, and what types of data help move the needle. Plus, she'll show you how to use your data to prove what campaigns are working.
- Speaking "1-to-1" to your subscribers using variable data
- 3 automated email campaigns you should be doing
- Tracking what is moving the needle in your email marketing campaigns
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once the course is over, pass a test to earn a CXL certification.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile or just get that well-earned raise you’ve been waiting for.
Get this course and 50+ others when you sign up for CXL Institute
This course (and all others – full list here) are included with the CXL Institute subscription.
At CXL Institute, you can take online courses on growth, digital marketing, optimization, analytics, persuasion – all in a single subscription.
- World’s leading practitioners teaching you their best stuff.
- 50+ online courses on all things data-driven marketing
- New courses added every single month
Sign up for CXL Institute and get access to
- 50+ courses (full list here) on all aspects of data-driven marketing (new courses added every month)
- 4 Minidegrees that give you advanced level skills
Got a team, multiple users? Get our Teams All-Access plan instead.
The CXL Institute guarantee:
- 7-day no questions asked money back period
- You can immediately apply learnings and improve your results.
Get a subscription
All plans come with a 7-day trial for $1.
Get a minidegree
This course is available in the following minidegrees.