Learn to optimize your design
Get a proven and hands-on UX framework to make more money with your website & landing pages.
Data-driven UX masterclass
By Karl Gilis,
Owner @ AGConsultant
Course length: 12h 47min
This course is archived
The quality of the course no longer meets our production standards. The course is in the archive – for all-access members.
Please see our course catalog for new and certifiable courses.
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL:
This training will show you how to
- Use user research tools and techniques to uncover usability and UX problems on any site.
- Implement a proven, repeatable process that will result in more revenue per visitor.
- Extract the highest value insights from Google Analytics, heat maps, user recordings and form analytics.
- Apply Karl’s 15 years of UX and usability processes, tools and tricks to your site right away.
Introduction video (1 min)
What you’ll walk away with afterwards
- The right mindset to be really (and I mean really-really) customer-centric. From now on you’ll be able to sell how people want to buy. Instead of selling the way you want to sell, as you’re doing now.
- A proven process and methodology that allows you to identify the weak spots of any website or landing page.
- An in-depth knowledge of how to get useful insights out of the most important (and affordable) user research tools and methods available. Without spending ages staring at boring graphs and numbers.
- An incredible amount of tips, tricks and guidelines to convert your visitors into customers. Yes, believe me: it’s incredible. See what I did there?
- The knowledge & confidence to improve your website and landing pages, even when you don’t have enough visitors to do a/b testing.
Throughout the course, you’ll…
- See exactly how Karl improves the usability and revenue of websites & landing pages during 8 video sessions.
- During the first 4 sessions he’ll show you how to use user research tools and techniques to uncover usability and UX problems. So you know how to get the most out of them.
- The last 4 sessions Karl shares the best UX tips & tricks he learned the past 15 years. So you can solve the problems on your site and turn those visitors into customers.
This course is right for you if…
- You believe that your site or landing pages can be improved. A lot. But you’re not sure where to start.
- You have the ambition to grow your online business or those of your clients and you understand Rome wasn’t built in a day. So you’re looking for a strategy and repeatable process to improve any website or landing page step-by-step.
- You’re a business owner, webmaster, designer, marketeer, … who believes that online marketing shouldn’t be based on gut feeling and opinions. But you’re not sure how to gather those facts.
- You realize that tools are important but are never the solution as such. You want to learn to get the most out of them. And even more important: how to connect the dots.
- You understand that usability & conversion optimization are crucial to survive online. But you’re overwhelmed with all the information you can find online. So you’re looking for a hands-on training that’s build around the idea that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
This course is probably not for you if…
- You don’t have any ambitions with your website. And you don’t care if you go bankrupt this year.
- You believe there’s a magic checklist with 10 tips that will make your website the best in the world. That list doesn’t exist. I’ll give you a framework and a hands-on process to make your website better.
- You believe you can make tons of money online without any effort. Once again: that doesn’t exist. You have to work hard. And improve your site every day. But thanks to the tips & tricks you get during this course you’ll know exactly how to do this and how to get results.
- You want more visitors on your website. This course is not about attracting more visitors. It’s about getting more revenue and sales from your visitors.
- You don’t believe in data but gut feeling and opinions. I wish you all the best.
According to PPC Hero, Karl is one of the top most influential Conversion Rate Optimizer worldwide. He’s also the G in AGConsult, a Belgium-based usability and conversion optimization company. He’s been optimizing websites since 2001. Always based on user research & facts.
Karl is a top rated international speaker (he was voted 2nd best speaker at Digital Elite Camp). He teaches at several university colleges in Belgium. And has trained people from companies such as Thomas Cook, TUI, Suzuki, Toyota & many others.
Your full course curriculum
UX and Usability
If I’ve learned anything over the past 15 years, it’s that most websites fail due to ego. Companies big and small put themselves first instead of putting their users first. Often without even realising it. Do you talk about what you think customers want? Or do you know what they want?
The sheer volume of data in Google Analytics can feel a bit overwhelming. It’s easy to get lost. Unless you come prepared with the right questions to ask. Your data ain’t going to tell you anything interesting unless you know what to look for.
Heatmaps are more than just pretty pictures that you can integrate into presentations to impress your stakeholders. They can tell you a lot about your site and your visitors. That is… if you know what you’re looking for.
On most websites, forms are the last step in converting visitors. Unfortunately, they’re also often the last obstacle. Form analysis tools can give you deep insights into how people interact with your forms.
I’ll show you the ins and outs of every element of a typical page (e.g. header, photo, design, text, call to action, USP, etc.) Not based on gut feeling or opinion, but on real life examples and what we’ve discovered in the previous sessions.
Forms are crucial for every online business. I’ll share all the tips and tricks I know to make sure your visitors will feel the urge to fill out your forms. Okay, maybe that’s a bit exaggerated. But I can guarantee that if you follow my tips, your forms will convert like they’ve never converted before.
If you sell more than one product or service, you probably have category pages. We will tackle the most common, but often overlooked, problems with these pages.
When was the last time you went on a website you’d never visited before and immediately bought something? Right.
And yet most websites are built around this concept. Someone lands on your website and buys.
In this session, I’ll show you some brilliant techniques that allow you to build a relationship with your visitors. So you can gently move them from visitor to customer.
Karl delivers a bonus class to wrap up the course. He'll cover forms, category pages, and homepages.
Frequently asked questions
What books or resources should I be familiar with?
- Karl gives similar trainings at digital agencies and they always admit they learned a lot.
- +5 years experience as a conversion or usability specialist who has hands-on experience based on user research. Not someone who has mainly read many articles about the subject.
What would make a student overqualified for this course?
- If you have a website and you want to improve it, you qualify.
- Don’t follow this training if you can only change the content of your website. You’ll learn a lot, but you’ll get frustrated because you can’t change a thing.
- If you have many years experience as a UX designer, you’ll probably learn more than you would think is possible.
How long should I have been working in UX?
- Karl recommends reading Don’t Make Me Think to get in the right mindset.
What programs or tools should I be familiar with?
- It’s helpful to have experimented with a tool like Hotjar, or another click heatmap, scroll heatmap and user sessions tool. During the training Karl will teach you how to read the data you get from these tools. He won’t teach you how to set them up. So start implementing one of those tools (it’s really easy) and start recording data.
- Same for form analysis. You can use Hotjar or Formissimo for that. Just start collecting data.
- These classes are not about the technical use of these tools, it’s how to interpret the data they provide you. So if you start collecting data before this course and if you get familiar with the interface of these tools before, you will get the most out of the trainings.
Show off your hard-earned skills and strengthen your profile.
LinkedIn found that people who add credentials to their profile receive 6x more profile views than those who don’t.
Add your certificates to your profile, share your accomplishments with the world, and join our alumni network.
Learn marketing on the job.
Get better results with networking.
Our Marketing playbooks community gives you peer support for every marketing task you face. 90% of marketing tasks are not unique. Someone has already figured it out. Achieve more with less hassle.
- Access our library of thousands of marketing playbooks, each showing you how to do a specific marketing task in 10 steps or less, with real-time peer support.
- Join our community of marketing experts, ready to support you in getting that promotion or master new strategies, skills, and channels.
- Network with some of the world’s best marketers and companies and get noticed, hired, or endorsed.
Note: This course has been removed due to production quality and/or out-of-date content. Check out one of our other courses.